Blogging is clearly the best medium to share information and opinions, and it has also become a powerful way to make money when done right. To be effective, though, you will need to drive lots of traffic (readers) to your blog. You can use a blog to…
- Inform your readers about your business mission and values.
- Educate consumers about your products and services.
- Establish yourself as an expert in your industry.
With the right content and promotion techniques you can easily attract a lot of people to your site.
Content is King
Just like static websites and even social media, content is very important. A badly written blog with little or poor content will drive your visitors away, if you even are able to get them there in the first place. Simple things like making sure that your grammar and spelling is correct go a long way towards building respectability and trust in the blogosphere.
Perhaps you’ve heard the adage, “find a niche and fill it.” When it comes to your blog content, you want to “identify your readers top problems and solve them.”
Social networking sites are good for identifying the problems people want to solve. People will often post about their challenges and you can be in the perfect place to be able to help them. You will know what people are talking about and what they are interested in so you can tailor your blog articles accordingly.
One good source for finding material for your blog are the mainline news sources and other news blogs that cover the same niche that you do. Scanning these resources for stories related to your industry will surely provide you with many ideas and content for use in your blog. Do not simply copy the stories you find, but add your own spin and share your comments and perspectives about popular news stories with your readers and ask for their comments. Use search engines like Google and features like Google Alerts to give you a regular supply of material that is new on the internet.
Making partnerships with other bloggers is also important when you are trying to promote your blog. Reading other blogs and commenting on their posts is a good way to create interest in your own blog. Just remember to be on topic and avoid make superfluous comments.
Joining a social networking website is also a great way to gain more readers and make your presence known in the online community. You can link to some of your blog posts on your Facebook page and “pin” some of your graphics on your Pinterest boards, for example.
But, interesting content on your blog is only part of the process… aesthetics also play a part when you are trying to make your blog popular.
Customizing Your Blog
The process of customizing your blog will give you the chance to create a blog that is interesting to your readers and one that is search engine friendly. You need to use keyword search tools such as Market Samurai or the Google Keyword tool to identify your target keywords and then publish content that is optimized for the search engines.
- Your post should focus on one or two keywords or phrases
- Keywords should appear in the blog post title
- The post is tagged with your keywords
- The meta description includes detailed or expressive text that encourages clicks
- Headings and subheadings appear in the blog post and also feature your keywords
- Keywords are in the alt text of any images or graphics
Other important features you should include on your blog are:
- Give people an opportunity to subscribe to your blog.
- Make it easy to navigate to other articles on your blog.
- Include a search function.
- Give readers the ability to easily share your posts on social media sites.