If you're not taking advantage of this simple to do viral marketing technique, you've absolutely got to begin NOW!
This is a simple and easy technique for sharing your website address with everyone you correspond with via email. It's FREE and is a great way to drive more business to your web site. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and will continue to work for you for many days, months, and years into the future. There is NO reason you should not be doing this. It is SOOOOO simple and yet POWERFUL.
What's an email SIG file?
Basically, it's a mini advertisement that is attached to your email every time you send one. Think of it as a business card attached to the end of your email with the added benefit of your ability to include a benefit-oriented statement and hot link to your website.
Most good email programs have a way for you to write up your signature information one time and then set it to automatically appear at the bottom of every email message you send out.
You will need to consult your particular email software's instructions on setting up a SIG file. I have included some basic instructions below for several popular email products.
If your current email program doesn't have this feature, get one that does.
For Outlook Express you'll be able to create a
signature file by….
1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then
click on the Signatures tab.
2. To create a signature, click the New button
and then either enter text in the Edit
Signature box or click File, and then find the
text or HTML you'd like to use.
3. Select the Add signatures to all outgoing
messages check box.
1. Click on Options.
2. Select "Signature" from the Additional Options
1. Click on Options at the top of the screen.
2. Select "Signature" from the Personalization
3. Click on Add signature to all messages as
Here are some guidelines on what to include in your signature.
* Your name and/or the name of your business.
* Your email address. Having your email address immediately
available (and clickable) is a great way to satisfy the need
to "do it now". Since some email clients don't recognize
and hotlink email addresses, consider putting the mailto:
in front of your address. This ensures your address is a
hyperlink (i.e. mailto:email@example.com)
* Your phone number. The web is nice and email is great, but
sometimes people like to connect with a REAL person. Make
sure you give them the option to contact you at this level.
If you have a toll free number, consider adding it (and
letting people know that it is toll free).
* Statement of Mission or Purpose. If you have a Unique Selling
proposition (USP) include it here. This is a short sentence
that differentiates you from others in your business. If you
don't have a USP yet (create one!), include a descriptive
tagline about you and your business.
* A reason why they should contact you now. Suggest additional
resources you can provide them or a way you can help them.
Make sure they know how to quickly request this additional help.
* Ways to read more. If you produce an ezine or have a web site,
let people know that it exists and how to visit. Again, make
it easy with a hyperlinked email address or a URL.
This is such a simple thing you can do, there is absolutely no reason why the next email you send out doesn't have your newly created signature attached to it.